McFarlane Aircraft Wheel Balancer
Wheel balance is important and now it's fast and affordable
Aircraft tires spin 1.6 times faster than your car tires. Out-of-balance wheel cause a long list of maintenance problems:
- Uneven tire wear
- Premature bearing wear
- Shimmy and resulting torque link damage
- Destructive and distracting airframe vibration
TOOL108 is a suspension wheel balancer with a patent pending design featuring a pivot point that is easily adjustable on-the-fly for maximum balance sensitivity. It is small enough to fit in a tool box and doesn't require a bulky stand. The McFarlane design is more precise than other static balancing methods, and allows the wheel to be balanced with the bearings and seals installed.
It's fast and easy! Due to the horizontal balancing and orientation, test weights can be temporarily set in place and easily adjusted while balancing. This eliminates the need to tape the test weights. The McFarlane wheel balancer is precision machined with a black, hard anodized finish, and comes in an oiled wooden case. It includes bushings to accommodate both 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" axle sizes. This is a lifetime tool that fits almost all light aircraft wheel/tire assemblies.
- On-the-fly adjustable pivot point for maximum sensitivity (U.S. Patent No. US 9,032,793 B1)
- More accurate than "bubble" or "axle and bearing" style balancers
- Portable - small enough to fit in your tool box
- Does not require removal of bearings or seals
- Less than half the price of bulky "axle and bearing" type balancers
Can You Stop Nose Gear Shimmy? by Dave McFarlane